Installation Problem

Sep 12, 2008 at 3:07 PM
How can i install this wonderful webpart?

i'm tryng to install it, but i'm not able.

Can anyone help me with a step by step procedure.

Thank you very much.
Nov 2, 2008 at 4:26 AM

*Some of these steps might be named a little different if you have the Publishing Feature turned on or if you have custom master pages applied.*

1. Place the codetesterwebpart.wsp file on the SharePoint servers hdd (or perhaps an accessible UNC path).
  2. Open the Command Prompt as administrator.
  3. Verify you have access to stsadm.exe (Example: C:\Program Files\Common Files\).
  4. In the Command Prompt window, type following commands. Be sure to replace my codetesterwebpart.wsp location with yours and either specify your with application url with the -url argument or use the -allcontenturls which doesn't use any parameter and the solution will deploy everywhere. I'd suggest using the -url and enter your port 80 web app's url.
    1. stsadm -o addsolution -filename C:\CodeTesterWebPart.wsp
    2. stsadm -o execadmsvcjobs
    3. stsadm -o deploysolution -name codetesterwebpart.wsp -url "http://WebAppUrlHere/" -allowgacdeployment -allowcaspolicies -immediate
    4. stsadm -o execadmsvcjobs
  5. Navigate to the Site Collection that will contain the web part or that hosts the sub site that will contain the web part.
  6. Click Site Actions - Site Settings.
  7. In the Site Settings page, look for the Site Collection Administration heading (it's located the furthest to the right by default).
  8. Under the Site Collection Administration heading, click the Site collection features link.
  9. In the Site Collection Features page, locate the CodeTesterWebPart and click the Activate button located to its right.
  10. The screen should flash and then the word Active should appear under the Status column.
  11. At this point, navigate to the location you wish to insert the web part.
  12. Click Site Actions - Edit Page.
    1. Note: You can only add web parts to a web part page.
  13. Click the orange Add a Web Part button where you wish the web part to appear.
  14. In the Add Web Parts - - Webpage Dialog you can find the Code Tester web part under the All Web Parts - Developer Tools categories.
  15. Place a check in the box next to the Code Tester web part then click the Add button at the bottom of the screen.
  16. Click the Exit Edit Mode link located directly underneath the Site Actions drop down.
  17. GO!!!

@anouvel:

Feel free to tweek this install guide and place it whereever useful. Also, thanks for this very inspirational piece. I think it has potential to save me some major time.

Zac Boyles,
Xcelligent.com

Nov 29, 2008 at 8:44 AM
Thanks a lot Zac !
I've added a link to this thread in the home page.